Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Sharp Objects ~ Gillian Flynn

I'm starting at the end this time & will (hopefully, maybe?) work my way back through the books that I've read so far.  I'm only at 14, so it's not unreasonable.  Except that I'm in the process of moving to a new house, which is super exciting but is taking up most (all) of my free time.

Sharp Objects is Gillian Flynn's debut novel, though I read Gone Girl first.  Much like her most recent novel, Sharp Objects can best be described as a psychological thriller.  Camille Preaker fled from her small home-town years ago, but is now forced to return to report on a series of murders.  Within the larger murder-mystery plot, Ms. Flynn explores her character's past and creates a truly creepy family.  A mother that has never gotten over her daughter's death, a forgotten first daughter, a physically present but emotionally absent step-father and a youngest daughter who moves between childhood and adulthood as easily as changing clothes.

Though the novel has a somewhat slow start, I found myself unable to put it down.  Ms. Flynn draws you in by deftly throwing out clues which only leave you wanting more. Her characters are not only psychologically damaged, but also entirely understandable.  The truly uncomfortable part for me was realizing that I could relate to each of them in some way - the daughter that wants to be seen, the mother that wants to be needed, the little girl growing up too fast.  Sharp Objects is truly disturbing on a primal level.

No comments:

Post a Comment